... but you can't take the 'Ham out of the Lewis: Celebrating Fall

... but you can't take the 'Ham out of the Lewis

What's going on up here anyhow?

Saturday, October 07, 2006

Celebrating Fall





My mom came to visit us yesterday, so we thought we should do something fun today. I had the weirdest dream last night that my dad and my cousin moved all of my mom's dishes out of her kitchen and filled all of the cupboards with huge pumpkins. They weren't your normal, everyday pumpkins either. They were squished into the cupboards and looked more like pumpkin-shaped sponges. I woke up and guess where I thought we should go today.....a pumpkin patch. We found a great one in the paper that is out in Everson (about 1/2 hr. away). We dressed Theo in a Halloween outfit (ghost sleeper and black cat hat) and off we went. The pumpkin patch was way cooler than I had thought it would be. We took a hay ride out to the fields and started out by making our way through a very confusing corn maze. We picked apples (the most delicious I've ever had), gourds, pumpkins, and even got some sugar pumpkins for pie baking! On the hay ride I asked Andy, "Why haven't we gone to the pumpkin patch every year?" He responded with this very typical (and completely crazy sentiment), "We didn't have a baby before!" I'm sure Theodore will remember every moment of our pumpkin patch trip! At least we'll have pictures to show him that he was there. He slept part of the time and was fairly content when he did wake up. We were starving (and wanted to eat some pie, but thought we should have lunch first), so we each got a hot dog and sat down on the grass to eat. Theo was so cute. He laid on his blanket and stared at the trees while he cooed and wiggled all around. Lots of people stopped to say hello to him. After lunch we did have pie and apple pull-aparts. They were the perfect end to a delightful celebration on the beginning of fall. Mom just left to go back home and Theo is taking a nap. Some days with a baby feel very full of soothing and crying and laundry and work, but today just felt like fun and family and memories and cuddling. I think God gives you these days so that the harder days don't seem so rough. How can we love someone who requires so much effort from us? That is another great mystery.....Christ's sacrifice and our salvation......the unity we experience in marriage......and working so hard to care for a baby and loving every minute of it!
Today's baby calendar quote "A baby is someone just the size of a hug!"

1 Comments:

At 8:08 PM, October 07, 2006 , Blogger "On Your Left!" said...

those are some prettiest fall pictures I've ever seen. I love the one with the pumpkins in the foreground and you and Judy in the distance (almost as much as I love the one of Andy & Theo on the grass) See you soon
Love - SandyG

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home