... but you can't take the 'Ham out of the Lewis: Herb's Memorial Service

... but you can't take the 'Ham out of the Lewis

What's going on up here anyhow?

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Herb's Memorial Service



GrandDad's memorial service was this afternoon. We drove down to Port Orchard last night and stayed over at my Mom and Dad's house. It was nice to see them, but the visit is always too short. They have been doing a lot of remodeling, so it was fun to see the progress and I am especially excited to see the new bathtubs once they're installed. This morning we got up, printed off the programs and words to the songs, and picked up Sandy to go to the memorial. It was nice to be there early and really be able to help set things up and greet people. I couldn't believe all of the familiar faces. I was grateful for the opportunity to meet a few of Herb and Doris' friends that I had heard about, but never had the chance to meet. It was a wonderful service and it felt like a very good mix of respectful and reverent with a little fun and frivolity thrown in. I think the fun and laughter were what truly honored GrandDad's memory. I especially liked being able to go to the graveside part of the service. Seeing Donna and John's (Herb's 2 kids who have already passed away) headstones really made it hit me that they are all together now in God's presence. It made me sad for me and excited for them. Andy cried at the service because all the fun times he had with his GrandDad when he was a little boy are over. I cried because Herb brought so much life to everything we did together and I'm sad that our child won't know him or how much fun he was. I guess it's Doug and my Dad's turn to be so much fun for our baby that I don't miss his or her Great-GrandDad's place so much. Well, we drove to Port Orchard yesterday, drove back today, and have an OB appt. in the morning at 8am, so I'd better head to bed.
I hope all are sleeping peacefully and Herb is up in heaven greatly enjoying the visit like he always said he did whenever we all were together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home