... but you can't take the 'Ham out of the Lewis: Something new

... but you can't take the 'Ham out of the Lewis

What's going on up here anyhow?

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Something new

I just need to put something up here so that it’s new.  I’m getting a talk (basically a sermon, but we’re calling them “talks” so that the kids don’t think of it as a sermon) ready for tomorrow’s sleep-over/retreat/group thing at school.  We’re having all the junior high students spend the night at the school Thursday night and doing activities and listening to people (the teachers and principal) give talks on Friday.  It should be fun even if it will be a lot of work.  Most of all I’ll have to be one of the adults, which will be a pretty big difference from my other experiences as a youth.  Also, I’m speaking on Friday and have only had since yesterday (Tuesday) to get ready.  I only have to do about 15-20 minutes, but I’ve never really done this before, so I’m wondering how it will really go.  My topic is: Obstacles to community.  We’re focusing on how the students can build community within the school.  This is mainly due to their nature as junior highers to rip each other apart and split off into separate groups.  We want them all to be included and encourage each other.  Anyhow, I need to walk the dog, go to bed, get up, teach all day, come home, get ready to go back, go back to school, stay up late, be in charge of kids all day again, send the kids home, and then figure out when I’m going to catch up on the schoolwork I’ve neglected for a couple days (I’ll probably spend a good part of the weekend doing that).  Gotta go.

Also, doesn’t that really long paragraph make for difficult reading?  Sorry.

3 Comments:

At 5:45 PM, November 03, 2005 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drew the teacher. Wow. I've always said there are few people I know who I would let teach my future kids, in fact you are about the only one I can really think of. It seems like in my experiance with teachers I've seen a lot of what not to do, but anyhow. I'm sure you'll do great and what an awesome opportunity for you. Good Luck I'll be prayin'!

 
At 11:45 AM, November 04, 2005 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alright! ....an all-nighter.... I've always found it takes about two days to get caught up and back to normal after these sleep deprivation events. As you likely notice this type of event "builds community" and is a good thing.
How'd the Friday talk go? I think that after defining "community" you could list those things that kids have done which brought them together and of course what does the opposite. It's a good topic and goes beyond the classroom. Adults could use this. Post your talk!!
Dad

 
At 4:30 PM, November 04, 2005 , Blogger Nate B said...

While I do think that in our present techno-obsessed culture community can be difficult and awkward I remember in college when our Resident Advisor would try to get us to bond with all the other floors we'd just make fun of him and then go tear down the other floor's Christmas Lights. Now that's community.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home