... but you can't take the 'Ham out of the Lewis: Busy busy busy

... but you can't take the 'Ham out of the Lewis

What's going on up here anyhow?

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Busy busy busy

Well, this is one of those really really busy days that come along every once in a while.  I was at school all day teaching, and Sarah was at Island View subbing for someone at her old job.  She still isn’t home yet, but will be soon.  As soon as she does get home she’ll be heading straight back out the door to baby-sit for the guy (and his wife) that will be filling in for me on drums this Sunday.  He is filling in for me because a) we will be gone this Sunday and b) I have a function at school this evening.  What is that event you ask?  Why, it’s Parent Night at BCS!  All the parents will be poking and prodding us new teachers.  Not literally, but figuratively through their questions, comments, facial expressions, body language, whispers, etc.  It won’t actually be that bad, but it will be strange because if I was honest with them about how qualified I really feel I am they would be pretty worried.  At the same time I really enjoy each day of teaching and I feel more comfortable each day.  It still stupefies me that I was the person they chose for this job… wow.

I had to help a kid today who had a bleeding finger.  I put on rubber gloves, used hydrogen peroxide, put the band-aid on, I took care of it basically.  The humorous part of the incident was that the student cut his finger on a large blade of grass!  We were collecting plant specimens on the trail near the school, and he cut himself on a piece of grass, not a thorn, not a sharp stick, but grass.

It’s odd that even though today is super busy I have time to write all this.  This is just the calm before the storm.

One of the reasons I feel like I should in no way be teaching these classes is the following realization I had while going to the bathroom this afternoon: the clothes I am wearing are the exact same ones I wore when I took Sarah to Homecoming my senior year of high school!  I am far too young to be in charge of a group of junior high students!  And I’m pretty sure the parents may think similar thoughts.  I don’t think about it too often, but it just strikes me as odd that I’m the guy in charge all of a sudden.  Other people (the administration and other teachers at BCS) seem to think it’s great, but I’m not always sure.

4 Comments:

At 5:32 PM, September 15, 2005 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:48 AM, September 16, 2005 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm home at last....2:30 am friday morning. I was 'chosen' to be at the hospital to make sure the new emergency room had it's medical gas systems properly tied in without depriving patients using same system from being denied their 'life support.' Anyway, it worked out well.
Thanks for the awesome description of what it's like to be a new teacher....I'm once again happy and confident you are 'the man..!!'
Thanks to Sarah, you can DO IT!
oK, SEEya later...gotta get some sleep!
DougDad

 
At 2:49 AM, September 16, 2005 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

...love that WORD VERIFICATION!
dad

 
At 8:04 AM, September 16, 2005 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just amazed that someone posted a comment to what you said here that had to be removed by the blog administrator.

mother

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home