... but you can't take the 'Ham out of the Lewis: This wasn't in the manual!

... but you can't take the 'Ham out of the Lewis

What's going on up here anyhow?

Tuesday, October 19, 2004

This wasn't in the manual!

Why do computers drive people so completely insane? We expect them to do exactly as we wish when we wish it and when they don't deliver it can get ugly. I've experienced this before, and this evening my better half is taking a trip to the plate. It's really hard to be supportive and compassionate when you rationally know that it's not a big deal and if they were just going to sleep they would forget about it by morning. But I have to be understanding and try to help as much as I can.

It gives me good perspective for when I get all bent out of shape over nothing big (see previous post regarding missed dental appointments). When I'm in the process of being upset about: the Seahawks blowing another 4th-quarter lead, not being able to make Excel sum the columns that way I want it to, buying a pair of shoes that don't fit (and no longer having the receipt), or forgetting to turn off the computer when we leave for vacation I need to remember that it's not that big of a deal and my energy spent on being bothered by it doesn't change anything. Except me. It makes me unpleasant and I won't even laugh at jokes. It's terrible. I just need to say, "okay I screwed that up, make sure I don't next time". And get on with it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home