... but you can't take the 'Ham out of the Lewis: The most tiring thing I have done so far

... but you can't take the 'Ham out of the Lewis

What's going on up here anyhow?

Tuesday, October 05, 2004

The most tiring thing I have done so far

Just finished grading papers and boy oh boy is it tiring! Trying to understand where they are cognitively is the hardest part. I know what kind grade I would give myself on most papers I turn in, but I don’t know how to grade 5th graders!
This week was better because I understood a bit more about how things go, but it still takes a lot of concentration on my part. Making the decision between a 2.5 and a 3 is really hard. I feel a personal connection with each student and want to see them all do well. At the same time they need to be accurately assessed as to where they are and how to improve. Writing comments is very fun and very difficult at times. How many times can I write "Good summary" before it has no meaning?
Had a snoozer of a seminar after school.... wish I could have come home early and eaten dinner earlier. Instead at the end of the seminar I had the conflicting feelings of needing to pee and also being ravenously hungry! I have always found this to be the most annoying of the body signal conflicts. Much worse than when you hit your funny bone and it hurts and you want to laugh at the same time (which I almost did today, instead I just banged it above the elbow... it just hurt, no laughing).

2 Comments:

At 7:11 PM, October 05, 2004 , Blogger Meghan W heaton Cirrito said...

You sound like a great teacher - constructive criticism for 5th graders, I salute you!

It looks like you're from the Northwest (I could be waaay off). Have you ever listened to www.kexp.org. I'm a John Richards fan and stream him in the morning.

 
At 9:48 PM, October 05, 2004 , Blogger "On Your Left!" said...

Hi - can you guess who this is, commenting on your post? I had to create a blogspot for myself and everything. Now I can start writing that novel!!!!! I love everything you write. xoxoxoxoxoxox Mom

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home