... but you can't take the 'Ham out of the Lewis: That settles it

... but you can't take the 'Ham out of the Lewis

What's going on up here anyhow?

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

That settles it

I told my boss/principal that I'd be back next year. He kind of double checked to make sure I was really serious (do I ever joke around?) and then got really excited. It's nice to know that they'll be glad to have me back.
It really does feel different to know what I'll be doing for the next year. Last year at this time it was pretty much up in the air. We were ready for whatever. It turns out that the whatever was sticking around Bellingham, working with a friend from school, buying a house, and getting ready to have a baby!
The benefits of staying put outweigh the only negative - way less pay than public school. We figure that if this last year worked we can make anything work. It will also be nice to be able to tell my students that I'll be back because they've been bugging me about what I'm doing next year. They assume that since I was looking for other options that I was definitely leaving (and they would also ask if I was leaving because they were bad kids - this is always humorous to hear).
Only three more days for eighth graders and eight more days for the rest of them. The year is really winding down!

Currently I'm enjoying the evening and listening to Sunny Day Real Estate, specifically The Rising Tide, which I really do enjoy. I like all the albums in different ways. It's just odd to find a band that I liked when I was 14 is still musically enjoyable for me. I still wonder which bands will be the Jackson Brownes, the Van Morrisons, and the Paul Simons of my music collection. Which bands will I still be buying new albums of in 20 years? Just a thought. Also, my own predictions would be: Mates of State, Dave Bazan (previously Pedro the Lion), Death Cab (this isn't actually all that likely, but I'm hopeful), and maybe the Old 97's.
Okay, side note over. Enjoy your evening.

2 Comments:

At 8:57 PM, June 06, 2006 , Blogger "On Your Left!" said...

very sweet of you to list the Old 97's as one of your "all time" bands. I clicked on the link you listed and found, to my shock and surprise, that they are in the movie, "The Breakup". I've never seen any movie with Jennifer Anniston, or Vince whatever, but now I'll have to.
mom

 
At 9:00 AM, June 07, 2006 , Blogger SL said...

I agree with all of your predictions, but I would also add Crystal Skulls just because I really like them right now. Okay, maybe they don't have long-term longevity, but who knows...maybe they do. I guess we'll wait 30 years and see.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home