... but you can't take the 'Ham out of the Lewis: Saying "Yes!" to God's promises

... but you can't take the 'Ham out of the Lewis

What's going on up here anyhow?

Monday, February 19, 2007

Saying "Yes!" to God's promises



Theodore Arthur Lewis was baptized on Sunday! It was a great day and a great weekend with family and friends. I (Sarah) grew up in a Disciples of Christ church (until age 11) that did not do infant baptism. I have to be honest and say that I always thought infant baptism was strange. The church Andy and I went to as kids did baptize babies, but I still thought I would choose not to when I had a child of my own. But, things and opinions do change. Our pastor explains infant baptism as us saying "Yes!" to God's promises for Theo. God has given us the Bible and it's filled with promises for those who believe in him. Those promises are ready and waiting for the day that Theo, Lord willing, will accept them for himself. It was so exciting and freeing to realize that God's blessings are available to Theo, just like they are to all of us, and that God is ultimately responsible for Theo's budding faith. It is great being a Christian parent. What a load off, right? God is in control, so I don't have to try and be SuperMom. I can just be the "me" that he created me to be. What an awesome God we serve! AMEN!

"One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek
that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling;
he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle
and set me high upon a rock."
~Psalm 27:4-5 (Theo's baptism scripture)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home