... but you can't take the 'Ham out of the Lewis: I need to ride more

... but you can't take the 'Ham out of the Lewis

What's going on up here anyhow?

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

I need to ride more

Just got back from a ride out to Northwest Fields. 14 miles round trip, but the wind was blowing against me on the way back. I want to be able to push through the wind rather than have it slow me down like it did today.
Rode out there to watch a student's baseball game. He struck out a batter when I got there and then hit the very next batter in the back... ah, little league baseball. I saw more dropped fly balls and missed grounders than you can imagine. However, the real highlight was the "chatter" from those in attendance. It's my guess (and actually almost a total guarantee) that the people sitting on the bleachers are related to the players in some way. This leads to some really emotionally motivated blather and some rah-rah positive crap that actually confuses the kids more than helps.
On one swing a kid fouled a pitch up and it hit the netting above the backstop, so it was a foul ball. However, the pitch was approximately a foot above this kids head. He swung at a terrible pitch. This prompts this exchange between the parents of the batter:

"Okay, (insert kids name here), lay off those high ones. Make him pitch to you." (this is one of my favorite all-time little league parent quotes)

"Well, he did pop that one up pretty good. Good swing honey."

And... bam. All attempts at letting the kid become a thoughtful baseball player have left the building. He now thinks that he should both not swing at high pitches (this is true, just ask Luis Sojo), and he should somehow make sure that he uses his "good swing" even on these crappy pitches.

Other lame comments/arguments of note:
  • need for explanation of catcher interference
- This is actually a fairly obscure call, but the parents were most perplexed by it because it was their kid who was catching and got his glove in the way of the batter's bat. According to the parents the ensuing pain he experienced should have trumped the fact that there is a rule stating that it's his (the catcher) fault and the batter gets to go to first.

  • no force at home and thus the runner was safe
- This is ridiculously obvious. There was a runner on third who came home on a grounder to short and slid in. The catcher (for the other team) just kept his foot on home and made no attempt to tag him. The other teams parents were perplexed. The side I was sitting on chose to respond in a vindictive tone, "THERE'S NO FORCE, HE'S SAFE! NO FORCE!" It is this spirit of good sportsmanship that makes me enjoy heading out to baseball games being played by 11 and 12 year old kids.

So, it was a fun evening and I got in a good ride as I'm trying to prepare myself for the slightly foreboding STP. It will be fun, but I need to get in some multiple hour rides just to get my body used to being on the bike that long. Sarah's making a pie and I need to grade some papers, so I shall end this excessive post with no pictures. Sorry.

1 Comments:

At 8:59 PM, June 08, 2006 , Blogger Lydia said...

you really jinxed me with this post today.... i had such a head wind on my ride home today that i was barely moving!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home