... but you can't take the 'Ham out of the Lewis: Our new baby

... but you can't take the 'Ham out of the Lewis

What's going on up here anyhow?

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Our new baby




Yesterday was our 1st appt. with our midwife, Ann. She is the same person who delivered Theo and we are very excited to be having her care for us again. She is a very calm, even-keeled person who always puts me at ease. At our appt., she used the fetal doppler to find the baby's heartbeat (this was the 1st time we'd done this during this pregnancy) and couldn't find the heartbeat. We were, of course, very concerned, but tried to keep our emotions in check until we had more information. She drew my blood for some lab work, referred us to the ultrasound place here in town, and gave me a big hug.




Once we were home, I called the ultrasound center to schedule an appt. They listened to my story and then said they'd get us in "as quickly as they could".....that meant next Tuesday! That was 6 days away!! We called Ann and she suggested calling the drop-in pregnancy center downtown. They were wonderful and had an appt. for us within a couple of hours.




We went for a walk with Theo and Todd (our dog) and talked about all of the possibilities of what this could mean for our growing family. I felt numb, but was trying to keep myself calm until I had all of the facts. We came home and had lunch. Theo went down for a nap, so I napped myself until it was time to leave for the appt.




The nurse got us in immediately and started the ultrasound. Right away, a cute, wiggly little baby popped up on the screen. Its arms and legs were kicking and squirming, its mouth was opening and closing, and its little heart was beating wildly. This child is very much alive. It was such a thrill for all of us (well, we don't really think Theo noticed. He was just upset that I couldn't hold him) and gave us lots of hope.




So, that's the long and short of it. We're having a baby an something's really happening in there. Now that I've seen this little person, I can't wait to meet them!

3 Comments:

At 8:19 AM, July 22, 2007 , Blogger sandylew said...

doesn't it seem like this baby is already just a cutie pie?

 
At 10:00 PM, July 25, 2007 , Blogger Frogs Mom said...

That must have been a scary...I'm glad to read that everything is looking good in there!

 
At 6:54 PM, July 26, 2007 , Blogger Gregg, Mandi, Lucie, Griffin, Drew and Caleb said...

beautiful baby, glad everything's ok!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home