... but you can't take the 'Ham out of the Lewis: Vegetable Weekend!

... but you can't take the 'Ham out of the Lewis

What's going on up here anyhow?

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Vegetable Weekend!





*These are pictures of: green beans, walnut pesto, frozen bell peppers, and dehydrated parasol mushrooms! YUM!
This morning our neighbors, Mitchell and Rochelle, called and asked if we'd like some mushrooms they couldn't use. They're leaving on a trip soon and they had a bucket of beautiful parasol mushrooms that they had gathered in the forests. I hadn't eaten a parasol mushroom before, but after researching a bit, I learned that they are common, delicate, and have a rich, meaty flavor. They are also very fluffy and pretty. I spent an hour this afternoon washing and dehydrating them. I even sauted a few to try. Very, very flavorful and tasty! I thought my food preserving was over for the day, but then I got another phone call. A dance student's family was gathering all of the nearly out of date bread and produce from our local grocery store. They do this several times a month. They had called the local mission and they did not want the dark bread or some of the vegetables. Luckily, we did want them! We got a loaf of dark rye bread and raisin bread from the bakery, a whole box of bell peppers (yellow, red, orange and green), anaheim peppers, 2 eggplants, a large bundle of fresh basil, and an entire grocery bag filled with fresh green beans. I had just finished with the mushrooms and started in on washing, cutting, and preserving the rest. We even made a delicious eggplant loaf (actually a recipe from a wonderful baby food cookbook) for dinner. I have green beans in vacuumed bags in the freezer and I am freezing bell pepper pieces right now. I feel like a farmer putting up my produce for the winter. We are so blessed by everyone around us. I love days like this when I see God's promise to provide for us being shown in very practical ways. I am now making an applesauce cake to finish off the day and enjoying time with my family! I hope this weekend is restful and enjoyable for you as well!


1 Comments:

At 8:19 AM, September 15, 2008 , Blogger The Horne's said...

Wow, I hadn't checked your blog in a while. Good to get caught up.
Penny is adorable. Happy 2nd birthday Theo.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home